The Dissection of the Obama Gun Safety Proposal
This is the list of Obama/Biden gun law changes and proposals as I have it. I am going to address each one of these items. I am NOT the final word on this and my ideas may differ from yours, but for now; these are MY responses.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
TF response: The background checks need to include ALL relevant information, any record of psychiatric treatment and its result being 1st and foremost. A criminal background check is also a much needed check but the fact of the matter is this; criminals don’t BUY guns through LEGAL sources.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
TF Response: The administration will develop regulations for the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) aimed at ensuring comprehensive care for mental health problems. This would include putting money toward new social workers and psychologists. Read MORE TAXES.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
TF Response: The old NCIC system worked well for Police information many years ago, it shouldn’t present too much of a problem to build a *shared* database allowing states to access information from other states regarding background checks and their result.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
TF Response: Directing the Attorney General to do ANYTHING about guns is a lot like handing a teenage boy the car keys and a bottle of whiskey. Fast and Furious anyone?
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
TF Response: If Law Enforcement isn’t already running a background check on an individual BEFORE returning a *seized gun*, I would be totally shocked. That only seems like COMMON SENSE to me. YOU gave the Police a reason to *seize* your gun, they need to ascertain that YOU are justified in having it back.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
TF Response: There will be NO WAY to regulate the sale or transfer of privately owned arms between private individuals.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
TF Response: Uh, isn’t that exactly what the National Rifle Association does?
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
TF Response: A gun with a GUN LOCK is NOT a gun, it is an expensive club! If you own enough guns that you need a gun safe to store them or secure them, and said gun safe is locked, I hope you never need one of those guns in a hurry.
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
TF Response: I thought that was already being done?
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
TF Response: Again, a common sense measure, one that responsible guns owners should already observe. I have recorded serial numbers of my weapons stored in safe places and I have insurance to cover ANY gun losses. Do we need a Presidential order to enforce what should be a *common sense* measure for ALL gun owners?
11. Nominate an ATF director.
TF Response: WHY hasn’t this already been addressed? What is it now, 6 years since there was a Director? More importantly; would having an OFFICIAL Director have stopped ANY gun crime or senseless act of gun violence?
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
TF Response: There is only ONE WAY to address an active shooter situation; you engage that shooter and you stay engaged with him until the situation has come under control. That means you train our educators in the proper use of a handgun, train them in the proper way to engage an active shooter and let them do the job they have been trained to do, SHOOT THE SON OF A BITCH DEAD!
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
TF Response: Is Obama saying that our Law Enforcement Officers and the judicial system aren’t giving their *maximum effort* already?
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
TF Response: This is the most incredibly stupid proposal in this list so far. We’re not talking about West Nile Virus, the CDC needs to stick to disease, NOT crime and the sanity of a few mentally unbalanced individuals.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
TF Response: I have to ask; wouldn’t Eric Holder need to invoke the Fifth Amendment on this one? Fast and Furious folks…
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
TF Response: Do you remember *Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell*? Well, it’s none of my doctors business whether I own a gun. I am NOT telling.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
TF Response: I believe that ANY doctor/patient privacy issue goes right out the window when the patient tells the doctor, “Sometimes I just want to kill people”. Someone has to take the responsibility of making Law Enforcement aware that there is a potential mass murderer out there. Several recent shootings, Va. Tech comes to mind, also the Aurora theater shooting, where the shooter HAD voiced his thoughts and plans and the doctor did little if anything to affect a notification.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
TF Response: An admirable offering, WHO will pay for it?
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
TF Response: Again, a common sense issue that is already in place in MANY schools, offices and places of worship. You can’t legislate COMMON SENSE.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
TF Response: To what point? Is that going to make any of us safer? Will it do anything to take guns out of the hands of criminals or the insane?
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
TF Response: See previous response.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
TF Response: Mental health is a slippery slope. If a person is mentally unbalanced but has not been adjudicated as such, how would a LEGAL gun sales person have any way of knowing that the buyer was not a sane person unless said buyer were exhibiting actions that could be defined as unmistakable signs of insanity? Does the Obama administration propose placing a psychologist in ALL gun stores?
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
TF Response: Maybe it’s just me but I am seeing this discussion on mental health going sideways as the Obama administration tries to find a way to label ALL gun owners as some sort of mentally deficient person.
In conclusion; Barack Obama made a speech, Joe Biden and some Libber staff came up with a list of 23 FEEL GOOD proposals that don’t amount to a hill of beans.
We already have MORE than enough guns laws; at least half of this proposed list is a waste of time, money and effort or is already in place. Enforce the gun laws we already have, enforce them honestly and fairly, that’s all it will take America.
I hope that ALL GOP Senators and Congress members, and at least *some* of the Dems see this list from Obama for exactly what it is; something to pacify the (m)asses and give a warning to the Senate and House that he (Obama) will attempt Executive Orders if this were to fail.
And fail it will.